Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Welcome to Connection in the Time of COVID-19

Yes, I know this is a play on the famous book title “Love in the Time of Cholera". If you are looking for something to do, why don't you download a copy of the book or order one from your local bookstore.

Shout from the balcony!
I’m a bit of a hermit by nature, but nothing has prepared me for the isolation that comes with social distancing, quarantine, and COVID-19. I’m used to being able to spend sometime at a coffee shop or bookstore, enjoying the atmosphere and talking to my friends who might be around.

Now I can’t even go over to a friend’s house without worrying that I could be spreading a dangerous virus. Grocery shopping along has become an exercise in keeping as far away from other people as possible. The only time I ever leave the house (aside from grocery shopping) is to take a walk so that I don’t go stir crazy.

I may be an introvert, but I still need some form of human contact.

Thank goodness for the Internet and cell phones.

My family and friends are constantly calling, messaging, and video chatting with me. Sometimes it’s so they can catch a break from the other people they are staying safe with. Other times they’re board and just want to say hi. Occasionally, we chat because we’re scared and worried and don’t know how to handle the situation.

I have noticed that the amount of time I spend on social media has increased. That’s not necessarily a good thing, but it makes me feel like I’m part of a larger community, instead of just the same white walls of my apartment. I try to share happy posts - fun videos from YouTube, my latest art project, or pretty things I see on my daily walks.

This is the most unusual time I have ever lived through. The closest my one friend and I can compare this to is growing up in the DMV during the DC sniper. We still went to school, but we couldn’t go outside and hardly anyone went shopping. It was a scary time, much like this.

I don’t even remember how we stayed sane those few months (was it months or week - my memory is a little fuzzy).

The current pandemic is completely different. Part of me has a hard time reconciling the idea that this will one day be taught in history classes in generations to come. It is affecting everyone and people feel powerless against a microscopic virus - myself included.

Aside from the general tension of our daily lives. Some people are struggling with their mental health right now. The lack of social interactions can lead to higher rates of depression and anxiety. The people going through these tough times might have trouble reaching out.

I urge everyone to reach out to your friends and family, heck even your coworkers, and check in with them to see how they are doing. Take some time to chat with someone, either via phone call or video, about anything and everything that isn’t virus related.

We will get through this time, hopefully healthy and whole. Until then, we have to stay as safe as possible and that means staying at home as much as possible.

But thankfully the technology is there for us to keep connected.

Facebook and Google might bury this post (it has COVID-19 in the title), but know I’ll be around writing whatever comes to my mind during these uncertain times.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment