Translate

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Welcome to Spring 2020

It’s finally spring!

It also might snow in a couple days...thanks climate change.

This year is a lot different than years past. We’re in the midst of a global crisis and mostly confined to indoor activities. Thankfully I can still go for walks in the woods, but going anywhere that might attract a large crowed is a solid “no”. That means I can’t visit the Cherry Blossoms that have just hit peak bloom.

I’ve decided instead to fall back on to one of my favorite hobbies: gardening.


It’s been a while since I’ve been able to have a garden - though I’ve been a plant parent for a few years and have volunteered at the New Jersey Botanical Gardens at Ringwood. Growing up, my parents had cultivated a small garden against the east side of our house. By the time I got to high school, I had taken over the vegetable part of the garden (mom ruled the herbs, while dad always made certain we had his favorite flowers). My favorite thing to grow: green beans. Though I hated eating them, they were super fun to cultivate and I’d give them away to anyone who wanted some.

Once I got to college and started working when I wasn’t studying, I wasn’t able to maintain my part of the garden. After graduation, there was never a right time or location to start a small garden. I was living in apartments and all but one had a patio to put plants outside (sadly the patio was too shady for vegetables). I probably could have started a small garden at my previous apartment, but I was so busy, it never occurred to me.

Recently I moved across several states to a new place and it’s perfect for a small container garden. Add in me mostly staying at home and it’s the right time for me to enjoy one of my old hobbies again. Thankfully my new balcony has a lot of light.


I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal and that a lot of other apartment dwellers might not have the same opportunity, but starting an apartment garden is a great way to have some extra herbs and veggies around. I’m not sure it really saves money, but it does make me feel like I won’t have to constantly run to the store to have some fresh food around.

I recently spoke to one of my cousins currently locked down in San Francisco and they also want to start an apartment garden. Unfortunately, the climate in San Francisco isn’t ideal for the plants they want to grow. My cousin is adapting by looking into getting a greenhouse and working with plants that will do well in the limited environment available.

This is how we’re coping with social distancing, the anxiety of going out, and the scary times we live in.

If you can, I recommend starting a garden. Start small, only a few plants that are fairly easy to cultivate (I find peas and green beans are fairly easy veggies, while mint and rosemary are tough to kill herbs - though I have sadly killed a rosemary plant before). Look into plants that attract pollinators like butterflies and humming birds or provide protection against mosquitoes and flies.

If you can’t start your own garden, that’s okay too. Some areas have volunteer programs (where you can work solo or at least keep a good distance from other people) to help out with gardens. And gardens take a lot of work from planting, to watering, to weeding. Some community gardens work with food banks and help struggling families (a plus at any time).

This is a stressful, anxious, and scary time. Part of me still can’t believe I’m living through it. Gardening is one way for me to focus my energy and keep me sane. It’s not for everyone, but for those of us who enjoy it, it can be a wonderful experience.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment