Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Welcome to a Season in Transition

Fall is my favorite season.

The air is crisp and clean compared to the moisture and humidity of summer. Trees transition from vibrant greens to brilliant reds, yellows, and oranges. The farmers market is full of fresh produce and food has an extra layer of spice.

The weather is constantly changing. One minute it’s cool with a light breeze, perfect for sweaters and blankets. Then it’s back up to the 90s and I’m back in shorts and a tank top. Thunderstorms aren’t quite as dramatic in the fall like they are in summer, unless it’s a major storm. The world seems a little brighter, though that could be the decrease in moisture in the air and the sun’s rays reflecting off the changing leaves.

Time to gather around the bond fire
Much like spring, fall feels too short. It’s supposed to last about three months as all the other seasons are supposed to. It never does.

This fall has started out a lot different than usual.

I remember when I started this blog, I lamented about how weird it was that I wasn’t going back to school like I had every other year since I was 4 or 5. This year, I got laid off and my sister got married. I managed to sell my first short story.

Another fall pass time at school we’re challenging the anti-education protestors.
I’m not sure where I’m going.

I’m not entirely sure where I want to be.

Change is my only certainty.

I named this blog “Starting Out in Wonderland” after one of my favorite books because the adult world felt like entering Alice’s Wonderland. Nonsensical and illogical, but with arbitrary rules I had to follow even if they still don’t make much sense to me.

I start every blog post with “Welcome to...” after the anime “Welcome to the NHK”. I had to watch it in college for one of my classes. It’s not one of my favorite anime series, but it resonated with me. I think it’s because the anime focuses on three people trying to navigate the adult world while struggling with their mental health and personal demons. I should really rewatch it. The light novel and manga the series is based on are a little different, so I can’t comment on them.

There are days where I wish I was still in high school or college and the most stressful things I had to worry about was passing my next test. There are days where I wish it was the future and I was delighted with everything I had accomplished. Content with where life has taken me.

Rarely do I take the time to appreciate the present.

I’m currently sitting in my apartment, rewatching “The Haunting of Hill House” for the third time. Occasionally the wind shifts and light bounces around the walls, highlights of pale yellow and green against a bright blue sky and warm orange sunlight. I try to spot the hidden ghosts in the show between typing out these words.

I dislike uncertainty. Planning for things comes naturally to me. Being idle is not ideal. I need to do something.

So I write and do research until I figure out what to do next.

If you enjoyed this post, or it really pissed you off, please like share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment