Translate

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Welcome to the Eye of the Storm

I am utterly fascinated by hurricanes. I both fear and love them.

My fear is perfectly just. I grew up along the Atlantic coast and got to ride out a number of tropical storms over the years. I think the highest might have been a Category 2 hurricane, usually it was a tropical storm by the time it hit my area. But nothing like the storm that just hit The Bahamas.

Dorian was a slow moving Category 5 when it hit the islands and then just stopped moving for a day. That is terrifying. The pictures and videos of the catastrophe are all over the internet. At least 30 people were killed last weekend. (Edit - as of 9/9/2019 the death toll has risen to 44.)


This is just the latest powerful storm to tear up the Atlantic seaboard. Last year we had 15 storms strong enough to be named, two of which hit the feared Category 4 (Florence) and Category 5 (Michael) status. In 2017, we had 17 named storms, with four that hit Categories 4 (Harvey and Jose) and 5 (Irma and Maria). Puerto Rico is still feeling the effects of Maria two years later.

With climate change and the sea temperatures rising, these dangerous storms are only going to become more and more fearsome. We're going to hear more stories similar to what happened in The Bahamas. More people will lose everything to an indiscriminate monster that can't be controlled.

However, the stories about the lengths people go to help others is amazing. One of my favorite stories out of The Bahamas was about a woman who took in nearly 100 dogs into her home. She likely saved all of those doggies lives. There are tons of pictures of brave people in boats patrolling neighborhoods, taking in anyone they can to shelters. 

Humans have managed to pull off a lot of amazing things since we evolved, however, it's only in our science fiction dreams that we can control the weather. The best we can do is look at the patterns in our atmosphere and predict what change of rain we might have over hte next week. We're getting better, but it's still not perfect.

Which is kind of why I also love hurricanes as much as fear them. They're a lot like giant twisters (another weather phenomena that I fear) with a central focal point and strong winds winding round and round. The patterns they create are beautiful in their own terrifying way. 

I admit that I get a little excited seeing these storms. Currently I've been monitoring Tropical Storm Gabrielle. She's stayed mostly in the Atlantic away from any land (including small islands) from what I can tell. I'm happy that no one was hurt by her and there hasn't been any reported damage. I'm also fascinated by how she looks sitting in our atmosphere. She reminds me of a small child swirling whipped cream around the top of their hot chocolate or a seashell getting tossed about in the current.


From up above, she doesn't seem that scary. Underneath her is an entirely different story. She's the kind of storm that would sink ships without knowing they were in her path.

Hurricanes are completely indiscriminate in their rampage. They don't target anyone or anything, not like a predator stalking prey. They have no motivations. 

Hurricanes simply exist.

I fear the day that a Category 5 Hurricane comes up the mid-Atlantic and hits New York, DC, Baltimore, or Philadelphia. It's not outside of the realm of possibilities, but it's very unlikely. Part of me wants to be there if and when it happens. 

I hope everyone stays safe this hurricane season and that the people of The Bahamas are able to rebuild quickly. Hurricanes aren't going away and we aren't likely to create a weather machine in my life time. So the best way that we can deal with these storms is to study them and prepare for worst case scenarios. 

For those of us who aren't scientists, know you're evacuation routes, know safe places you can go in a hurry, and for the love of the universe DO NOT FORGET YOUR PETS! Not everyone is as mobile as everyone else. Not everyone owns a car or has the capability to get to safety on their own. If you can, try to incorporate helping those in need into your plans as well. Hurricanes aren't the only natural disasters this applies to. Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, rouge waves, blizzards, tornadoes, and water spouts are just a few types of disasters to plan for. 

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y'all like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment