Translate

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Welcome to The Wedding Party

It has been a rollercoaster past couple of weeks. I was laid off, got my first short story publication offer, and my adorable baby sister got married to a wonderful guy this past Friday. I’ve learned that my friends have my back, my crazy family is extremely supportive, and (most importantly) I never ever want to have a wedding.

That’s not to say marriage is off the table, just that I don’t want to go through a year of angst, crazy prices, and extreme drama for just one day.

Not that my sister’s wedding wasn’t fun. It totally was. I was happy to be there for her and help her as much as I could.

But if I ever get married, I plan on doing it in a T-shirt and jeans in front of the Justice of the Peace. No fuss, no frills, and minimal drama.

But there may be cake...
I then hope that my sigfig and I travel around to our friends and family to have celebratory parties. None of this overpriced venues for “wedding” nonsense.

Though I admit that my sister and brother-in-law’s choice of chapel and reception were on point. They decided to have the wedding in the chapel in Greenfield Village (a historical park created by Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI). The reception was in the large dinning area next door. We had the run of the area with some outside seating and great photo opportunities.

My family came together for my sister too. Everyone did something to help out.

My aunts did all of the flowers and decorations. My uncle put together a corn hole set for people to sign at the reception. My dad led the prayer. A family friend did our makeup. And our photographer was another old family friend (she was also there as a guest).

By the end of everything, I was dead tired and couldn’t feel my feet anymore. I’m still somewhat in need of time to recover.

Weddings are a lot. There’s a lot of people to talk to, food to eat, and numerous things can go wrong. Emotions are at an all time high and focus needs to be on the bride and groom. There will be drama (I know I’ve mentioned it quite a bit in this post so far) and people might get their feelings hurt (hopefully not too badly).

My sister’s wedding was beautiful, fun, and chaotic.

I still don’t want to have one.

However, a number of people said I was the funniest person that had to make a speech that night. Plus I got a couple of zingers in while the bride and groom thanked everyone. My sister nearly killed me, but ended up laughing her butt off after the shock my innuendo passed.

I had to make a speech, because I was a “person of honor”. I kept it short, simple and to the point. I only included a couple of inside family jokes. A good chunk of my brother-in-law’s family had no idea I was the older sibling until I mentioned it in the speech. It made for a good laugh.

As far as I know, everyone had fun. Though a couple of people did get lost and ended up at the wrong wedding,  it thankfully everyone made it to the reception. I wouldn’t have changed a thing about the day (except maybe have broken in my shoes better).

Until next week.

“I can’t believe we’re finally here. Today, my adorable baby sister, Cecil B. DeMille, married one of the most wonderful guys I have ever met. Lenz, you make my sister very happy and that makes me very happy. I first met Lenz at Buschgardens Hallowscream event. It’s probably the best way to meet your future brother-in-law because you get to see how he reacts to your sister jumping on him when a guy in a mask yells ‘BOO!’ Wine and Jell-O shots may have also been involved.

“So guys, I wish you all the best and I hope you have many more adventures.”

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment