Translate

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Welcome To The Farmer's Market

Most places are closed in my county on Sunday. It's either an old tradition or law that keep most stores closed (including Target). I don't mind that much. Sure I have to plan on doing most of my shopping on Saturdays, but it's not that big of a deal. I can use Sundays to catch up on other things.

Like going to the farmers market. Yeah, despite the fact that most places are closed, the farmer's markets in my area are open Sunday morning.

There are two markets in my area that I go to regularly. The first is at the Ridgewood train station. It's small and I can easily walk to it. There are two vegetable stands, a baker, a man selling jams, a pickle stand, and a truck which sells fresh mozzarella. The food is always delicious and I can get a about half a week's worth of grocery shopping done.

The Ridgewood New Jersey train station
The other farmer's market is in Ramsey. I have to drive there and it's always crowded , but it's well worth the trip. Not only are there the traditional vegetable stands and bakers, but there are artisans, a winery, a few butchers, a fisherman, and other specialized stalls. I loving going to the bakers there for breakfast and fresh bread throughout the week.

Farmer's Market in Ridgewood New Jersey

Unlike when I go to a regular supermarket, I can't always make a list. Most of the food I want is available, but sometimes I'm completely surprised by what I come across. For example today I was planning on buying some cauliflower and when I got to one of the stalls they cauliflower that was white, orange and purple. I had no idea that cauliflower could grow in those different colors. I asked if there was a difference in taste and the seller said that she didn't know of any.

I don't think I've ever seen a purple cauliflower at a Giant or Wegmans.

An orange cauliflower that I brought at the Farmer's Market in Ramsey NJ


The farmer's market in Ramsey occasionally has special events and features musicians and demonstrations. One weekend I went and they were doing a recording for a TV show with a food demonstration. I didn't feel like waiting in the crowd, so I didn't stick around for that one, but it did smell wonderful.

Farmer's markets are fun to go to and they help support the local community. I love talking to the people who run the stalls and have found some things I wouldn't have imagined trying if I gone. If you have a farmer's market near you, please check it out and support your local farmers.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. If there's a topic you'd like me to write about or have any questions about my transition from college to the working world, please feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment