Translate

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Welcome To A Neighborhood Cafe

My roommate (who is awesome) works at a cafe in the town of Nutley New Jersey. It's about a half an hour drive from our apartment. I try to go on the weekends she is working.

It's a small, family run place. They make all of their food and have some of the best gelato I've ever tasted. I usually go for a cappuccino and gelato and to do some writing. My roommate occasionally is able to eat lunch with me. I usually go after the lunch rush, to avoid a crowd.



Most of the people who go to the cafe are regulars. They are also, including the owner, mostly Italian. They speak Italian at the cafe, have Italian news papers, and serve all Italian food (which is delicious). A mix of Italian and English are spoken and sports are always on the TVs.

Now that the summer is almost over, it's starting to get a bit busier with everyone back from vacation. The town of Nutley isn't what I'd call a tourist town. It's more of a tight-nit community, where almost everyone knows everyone else. At least that's what I've seen of the area. My roommate feels the same way. Most of the people who go to the cafe, have been doing so for years and know the owner.

It's a lot of fun to go for a lazy weekend afternoon. Everyone is greeted with a big "hello" and friendly atmosphere.

While I was there today, I started talking with two of the regulars. They were gentlemen in their late 50s or early 60s (I'm basing this off of the conversation). One of them had been in a band for over 40 years. He said his band had gotten together in 1969 and stayed together until the late 80s, early 90s. They played for weddings, festivals and did a few openings at concerts. He said that, at one point in his career as a musician, his band had been ranked the top Italian American band in the New York/New Jersey area. People would book his band two years in advanced, they were that popular.

And this was just his hobby. He had also worked full time as a manager at a company. Some how he managed to balance his hobby and work life. He said it took a lot of time and dedication, but it was worth it.

I hope to someday be able to do that. Maybe I'll be able to balance writing novels with a full time job. I just wouldn't have a social life.

Hearing about the experiences of these gentleman, though, made me miss my grandparents. I used to love hearing their stories about growing up where they did or adventures they went on. One of my grandmothers drove across the United States in a Model T (or maybe it was a Model A) with her grandparents. I wish I had been able to ask her about it (though I hear she her passengers weren't the most pleasant to travel with). Unfortunately I can't hear those stories first hand, but that doesn't mean I can't hear about other people's adventures.

There are a few people I know who love to read the obituary section of the newspaper. It's not because they are morbidly curious to see whose died recently, but because some of the things that are written about the people are just so amazing. Sometimes I wish I could get a copy of the person's biography. I hope it's a long way off, but I hope to leave behind one awesome obituary. 

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post, or it really pissed you off, please like, share, or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Now, off to live my great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment