Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Welcome to Adventure Part 2: Food - All the Best Food

One of the best things about the human experience is eating food. It's a human universal need to eat and how we eat can be influenced by our family, location, and culture. People can eat on the go or sit down for an hours long meal with over 20 courses.

I learned in Hong Kong if you order coffee or tea, you get a whole pot to drink.
How, where, and when people pause for a quick bite can vary for culture to culture. The United States, with all of it's regional cultures, does have a few cultural quirks to our eating habits. We occasionally eat on the go, fast casual restaurants such as Panera have risen in popularity, and dinner is our big meal of the day served around 18:00, whereas lunch is typically smaller and eaten as quickly as possible.

These habits are not as typical outside of the US. When traveling in Europe, I've often eaten dinner well after 20:00 and sometimes as late as 22:00 and the portions are a lot smaller than anything I get at a restaurant back home. In Japan, it's considered rude to walk around eating or drinking. If you buy a drink from a vending machine, you stand there and drink it before continuing on your way.

My favorite part of traveling is trying all of the new foods.

Katsu Udon for Nara is a little different from udon made in Tokyo
There are a lot of different types of food that aren't available in all parts of the United States, and even if they are available, they might not taste the same as where I first had them. A lot of international food that's brought to the United States has been modified for American tastes and the available ingredients. That's not even getting into the many regional differences in food from the original country. Italian food from northern Italy can be very different from the dishes served in southern Italy.

An example of Hong Kong dim sum
This is also true when traveling outside of the United States.

My first memories of going to Japan as a young kid was having pizza the first night for dinner. I was told that the pizza ordered was an "American style pizza". It had corn on it. I have never had corn on pizza in the United States. I didn't even know putting corn on pizza was a popular topping.

The corn on the pizza was yummy. This past trip to Japan I tried corn sushi (again, something I had never heard of). It was not the yummiest thing I had on my trip, but I can safely say I tried.

This is corn sushi...sweet corn, mayo, sushi rice, and nori
Honestly, 99% of the food I try is delicious. It's very rare that I eat something I don't like. Sure, it's scary to take a bite of something I might not know exactly what it is, but I find that it's a risk worth taking.

Takoyaki is so good. I usually don't like octopus, but this was amazing!
Though I do have a couple of dietary restrictions, they aren't life threatening and the foods can be avoided. I will admit that it can be challenging making certain I won't accidentally eat something that will make me sick, especially if the menu I'm looking at isn't available in a language I understand.

For people who do have dietary restrictions that are life threatening, it can be a challenge. Thankfully, a lot of airlines and hotels can help travelers out. I was able to per-order my airline meals to make certain that nothing would make me sick several kilometers in the air. I've also had luck at many of the places I've stayed from hotels, hostels, and even Airbnbs at asking people for good places to eat at that have food safe for me to eat.

Part of the adventure of traveling is trying new things, food especially. If you don't have any food restrictions, I recommend trying anything and everything. You might be surprised at what you end up loving. And end up not enjoying something you try, at least you can say you tried it.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment