Translate

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Welcome to Adventure Part 3: Spontaneity

Last year, my aunt and cousin came to visit me in New York and I got to experience their version of a vacation. My uncle works for one of the major airlines, so they don't always know where they might end up when they take a trip. Essentially, they make it up as they go.

I am more of a planner, so to go on a trip without some sort of itinerary is a little daunting. However, I threw caution to the wind and followed along as my aunt and cousin had fun finding things to do "at the last minute".

It was great.

I've even started trying to do more things spontaneously.

For example, this past Friday I got an email from one of the Broadway ticket agencies. The play Burn This had a few tickets left for Sunday and, as I hadn't gotten the lottery tickets for Hamilton (again), I snagged a ticket. I did ask one of my friends if they thought it was a good idea (she said "of course" but she rarely says no to seeing a Broadway show).


Burn This is great, by the way. Adam Driver and Keri Russell are amazing. I went through a roller coaster ride of emotions, one minute laughing my butt off, the next wanting to run on stage and hug the characters (good thing I was way up in the balcony).

It's one thing to do spontaneous activities close to home. It's another to do so while traveling.

As I planned my trip to Japan, I sent my uncle a list of places I'd like to see. Some were places I had been before, others places I had heard about, and a few I found on travel recommendation sites. I told my uncle that I didn't have to see everything on my list, that I was open to different suggestions, and that I was flexible to changing my plans.

My uncle planned an amazing trip and we hit pretty much everything on the list I sent him. We only made a few small changes based on weather (which was only bad one day) or if my uncle had a different recommendation.

I had the best time!

My 24 hours in Hong Kong, however, were completely unplanned...and I was on my own.

I find that not having a plan is easier when I'm traveling by myself. I've written about solo travel before (click here) while I was in Iceland. I typically have some idea of what I'd like to do or see on these trips, but I'm always willing to make changes.

As I was on my way to Hong Kong, the weather took a turn for the worse. Strong thunderstorms delayed my flight by 6 hours and by the time I reached my hotel, all I wanted was food and a shower.

However, that didn't stop me from trying to explore a new city.

Originally, I thought I might just eat at the hotel and get an early start the next morning. But that didn't sit well with me. In a moment of pure curiosity, I asked the hotel concierge where they might recommend getting something to eat. They gave me a few suggestions, which I thought about, and then asked: "what would you like to eat?"

Without second thought I said, I'd like to try something local. The concierge smiled and said that I should take the subway one stop to the Wan Chai neighborhood to see some of the night life and try some local street food.


The mini adventure was worth it and I managed to get a taste of Hong Kong that left me wanting to explore the city more. I hope to go back sooner rather than later and hopefully convince my sister to come with me.

My 24 hours in Hong Kong weren't long, but I tried to do as much as I could. I managed to take the Peak Tram up to the top of Mt. Victoria and do a bit of hiking. Even in the rain, or maybe because of it, Victoria Peak is gorgeous. Part of me felt like I was stepping into the realm of the fae with how low the clouds were.


Exploring a new place without a plan is scary. Even when I'm not certain where I'm about to go or what I might do, I still take time to do my research. However, some of the best adventures happen when you stumble right into them without having any prior knowledge.

Some of the best adventures I've been on have been within an hour of my home and they usually started because I was bored and needed something spontaneous to do.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment