Translate

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Welcome to the Sound of Silence

Happy holiday weekend everyone! The kids are heading back to school (if they haven't gone back already), outdoor pools are about to close, and the fashion industry tells us we can no longer wear white. Pumpkin spice has returned to coffee and sweet shops everywhere. In some places the leaves are already starting to change and I'm sitting here watching Hocus Pocus while writing this post.

It's a quiet weekend for me. Which means I have plenty of time to think, overthink, and think some more. Writing in my blog helps me organize my thoughts and try to make heads or tails of the crazy that is my life. This topic has been buzzing around in my mind for a while, but last night, before bed, I was kept up by a single question. What is the sound of silence?



I really like the song, The Sound of Silence, originally sung by Simon and Garfunkel and covered by Disturbed. I like both versions, but there is something truly haunting about the Disturbed version (I might get a little heat for that, but it's my honest opinion and I love rock). I was also inspired to ask this question because during my meditation and yoga practice, I am encouraged to maintain stillness and block out the surrounding noise. This can be particularly difficult in a noisy gym.

But in all seriousness, what does silence sound like? Its hard to wrap my head around. There's the metaphorical sound of silence. Where it is people who are silent for one reason or another on an issue (usually, but not necessarily, out of fear or political). Its one way to interpret the question.

Then there's the literal meaning of the phrase. Can silence have a sound? Isn't silence by definition the a sense of sound? 

Unless I suddenly become deaf or travel to outer space (because Ridley Scott taught us that in space no one can hear you scream), I won't find my answer. I'm sure I could (politely) ask, but would I be able to understand the answer?

Throughout the day, I am bombarded with different sounds. I love working to music or leaving the TV on while I cook and clean. I live across the street from a train station and I don't even notice the trains coming and going anymore. Crickets are constantly chirping as the sun starts to set and the three beagles downstairs make it impossible to sneak out of my own apartment (not that I need to sneak out, but they always announce my comings and goings and are super adorable). 

The amount of sounds I hear throughout the day can be overwhelming. I personally don't like going to concerts and haunted houses because the sounds can be too over stimulating for me. When I do find a quiet space, the noise is still there, but it's not as overwhelming. I am almost able to completely block out all outside noise, especially if I'm meditating.

One of my yoga teachers likes to talk about using sensory deprivation tanks. They showed one on the show Stranger Things to get El to the Upside Down world. My yoga teacher says that they get "visions" while in he tank. There isn't any light in the tank, but the mind will still create visions for them. I wonder if the same thing happens when in absolute silence.

Could the sound of silence be a peaceful mind? A sound that is still there, but still? Could it be phantom Maybe that's why I find this question so vexing. There are so many ways to interpret it. Some are positive, some are negative, and some are just neutral.

So what is the sound of silence?

I have no idea, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment