Translate

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Welcome To Quiet Time

Christmas and New Years are big loud holidays with lots of people and lots of activities. It can be hard for the introvert or overwhelmed extrovert to find a moment to sit down and relax. Sometimes the best thing is to go to a quiet spot where no one will bother you. If that doesn't work, get in the car and drive off. If that still isn't an option and running off to join a convent is starting to look better and better, I suggest taking a long walk.

I love the holidays, I really do. I love being around my family after not seeing them for a long time. I enjoy all the food (when don't I enjoy food). I especially love seeing all the decorations. Sometimes, though, it does get a bit much.

If I'm in a situation during the holidays where I might find myself becoming overwhelmed, I have a few strategic plans to find that calm, quiet place.



1) Get up early or stay up really late - my sleep cycle sometimes suffers a little, but if I really need the quiet time, I can usually find a time (like 3am) where I am the only person awake.

2) Have a set of car keys handy - it's the easiest escape route. If I don't have my own car, I try to have an alternative.

3) No car keys, no problem, I take a walk - at least I'm off on my own.

4) It's okay to say no - sometimes the best way to find peace and quiet during the holidays is to say no to big parties. Instead find a different time to visit close family and friends when there are less people around.

5) I have a quiet spot set up in advance to hide out in - the only downside is that people need to respect this spot. If they don't, then the quiet spot won't stay quiet for long.

Also note, that although I know I need the quiet time, other people don't know or understand. People can get upset if someone doesn't feel up to being social. Don't compromise your mental well being during the holidays because someone else is upset.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment