Translate

Monday, May 26, 2014

Welcome To Having Good Mentors

A few nights ago, I was speaking with one of my many uncles. He was reassuring me about something or other with regards to my job. I often call him because he lives on the opposite coast and is awake when I am more likely to be freaking out. He is very helpful and often either reassures my decision or tells me how I can do better.

I have come to realize how important it is to have mentors and not just at my job. You also need some people who are removed from the daily stress and can give you a outside opinion. This can help you build a more rounded view of the world.

I have read that having multiple mentors is a good idea. I feel I have at least four. My uncle, my manager at work and two close family friends. Each mentor brings a different perspective. I might not always keep in touch with them as often as I would like to, but I do my best and listen to them as often as I can.

How to know you have a good mentor? I'm not really sure. I know the people who I listen to want me to make the best decisions I can for my career. Personally I think it is best to have mentors in multiple settings. Have at least one at work, one in the family you can rely on, and a few mentors who aren't related and don't work with you. Hopefully you'll find people who are good at giving advise and make great friends.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I know you guys are there. Thank you for reading. Until next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment