Translate

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Welcome To Homecoming



Not the Silent Hill Version...


Before I start this more nostalgic post, I would like to state my current goal. I want to meet Ellen. That is my goal in life. I do not want to sit in the audience and watch her make her show. I want to physically meet her and say hi, maybe get a hug. She is just so cool. Now, on to the post…

_______________________________________________________________
This weekend was homecoming at my alma mater. It was my first homecoming as alumni at my school. It was really weird. It was one of those times where everything was the same, but everything had changed. I do miss being a student sometimes, but I like being a grown up. It’s just more stressful now on my own. 

I got up really early Saturday morning and drove down to the school. I stopped and picked my sister up on the way so she could see some of her friends. It was great. I saw a lot of people I had spent a lot of time with at school. It was almost like I had not left at all, but I could not just go back to my room and sleep after the rugby game.

I went to the football game, for the first time in four years. We actually beat the school we were playing (we go more for the academics instead of the sports). It was so much fun. I spent so much time doing things I did not even notice I got wind burned until it was too late.  There was so much to do and not enough time to do it all. 

I got to see what the people who are now living in my lodge (house on campus) did to it. Some of us who lived there last year saw them going into it. They did a great job with the space. I wish we had thought of some of the stuff they had done. We traded stories about the lodge and how wonderful it was to live in it. They were going to have a Halloween party there, so we left pretty quickly. 

Last night I had dinner with a friend, who had graduated many years before, and her friends from school. They were wonderful to talk to and to hear about all of the changes that have been made to the school since they had been there. I hope that my friends can be like that when we get older. It might be hard, but I would still like to be in touch with most of them ten years down the road. It’s hard being away from them.

I discovered that a lot of my friends (well most of my friends) who had graduated had moved to northern Virginia and the DC area. I am not that far from them, but traffic here is just awful. Maybe I will take a few days off and just be in my favorite city. 

My college roommate and I spent the night at a Super 8 hotel (in the sketchy part of town). It was just like we were still roommates, except we had the TV on. She played her video game and I talked about random things. We have strange conversations, maybe one day you will see them in print. 

Homecoming was a lot of fun. The drive back was long, but worth it. It was hard to leave. I do not want to be the creepy old alum that hangs out and pretends to still be cool. I would rather still be 21 and trying to figure out what classes to take next semester. I wish time had stood still just a little longer. Oh well, I will just have to slow down the future and enjoy the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment