Translate

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Welcome to Social Art Time

It seems the best way for me to branch out of my bubble and make new friends, is to use the website Meetup.com. For those of you unfamiliar with the site (and, no, this is not an ad - no one pays me to write blog posts), it’s a place for people to find groups filled with people that have a similar interest. I started using the website in New Jersey - which is how I found a hiking group and my writers group.

Now that the pandemic appears to be winding down, I feel more comfortable meeting new people who share my interests. Last summer, I joined a group that does a lot of hikes and walks in my area. It was outside and there was less stress about masks. Since it’s currently winter, they’ve gone on hiatus until it starts warming up again.

However, I’ve been getting bored spending most of my time at home and somewhat socially isolated. Zoom is a great way for me to still interact with my friends I no longer live close to, but it doesn’t get me out of the house. I needed a new location with other humans.

Queue me finding an art group.

I mean I am an artist no?

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this group. The original location was a local coffee shop, but the RSVPs grew too large for the space and the organizers changed the locations to the local library. It was a really nice space that had enough room for all the people who came (more than 30). Some people had sketchbook, others watercolor paints, and a few borrowed a pencil and paper from their neighbors. Most people had their phone out looking at references to help them draw. 

I had my tablet and stylus - working on some digital blackout poetry (which I’m not sure what to do with yet). 

An example of my blackout poetry that is not digital.

Part of the time I was at the table, I was lost in my drawing. Completely absorbed. Conversation would go on around me and I didn’t feel a need to engage with anyone. There was no pressure.

Other times I would jump in with the conversation. No one shut down my opinion or said that my art wasn’t “real art”. It was fun and easy going.

A few people would get up and wander around, looking at what everyone was working on. I never stood up to walk around (unusual for me as I love pacing and moving). I didn’t mind when someone looked over my shoulder. I didn’t feel judged. It was more like being in a gallery with someone looking at a masterpiece while it was being created.

Granted I can’t speak for the other people there, but I didn’t hear anyone raise an objection.

Actually, most of the artists were excited to share what they were working on (myself included). There was a general sense of fun. A few people said they came because they wanted to get back into drawing, or sketching, or painting.

The time I spent with the art group was relaxing, stress free, and a positive social interaction. I was surprised by how quickly timed passed.

I probably will join the group again. One of the organizers wants to have outdoor art events and possibly organize trips to the museums in DC. I like the casual nature of this group and hope I make some fun new friends.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y’all like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment