Translate

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Welcome to Machiavelli

A few years ago, I picked up a copy of Machiavelli's The Prince. In popular culture, Machiavelli is seen as one of history's most controversial political figures who wrote things like "it is better to be feared rather than love". Most of this perception comes from analysis done on his most famous work: The Prince


However, if you read any of his other work or understand the circumstances that lead him to write The Prince in the first place, you'll find that Machiavelli wasn't the tyrannical power mad ruler people usually associate with his name. He was actually a realist. A realist who loved his home city-state of Florence.  

Machiavelli's most famous work, The Prince, was actually written after he'd been tortured and exiled by a new government that steamrolled in to conquer his beloved republic. It was essentially a very long cover letter telling the new ruler "hey, I actually know what I'm doing and can help you out." 

Unfortunately, (like so many written cover letters by job seekers) the guy Machiavelli wrote The Prince for likely never read it. Though the Vatican did and they promptly banned it - which naturally meant that everyone wanted to read it. 

This is perfect example of how banning a book can backfire.

If you want a brief summary on Machiavelli, I recommend checking out The Overly Sarcastic Productions video on YouTube (click here). Their video was what actually got me interested in reading The Prince in the first place. Prior to their synopsis, my only knowledge of him was through pop culture and his (evil) portrayal in the Immortal Diaries of Nicolas Flamel series. 

My take on The Prince was that I needed to know more Italian pre-renaissance history to understand what was going on and that Machiavelli could be a sarcastic realist to the extreme.

Now, this was my take on the job application that would end of up in the garbage bin. Other people have read The Prince and taken it quite literally or as a way to navigate the worst of humanity.

Stacy Vanek Smith, a reporter from NPR, had her own take on The Prince. One that heavily leaned on the idea that Machiavelli was a realist who genuinely understood how good and bad people can be. She recently released her book: Machiavelli for Women: Defend your Worth, Grow your Ambition, and Win the Workplace. It's a modern take on Machiavelli, adapted for the work place. Princes are now bosses and co-workers fighting for a spot beyond middle management. 


Overall, I thought the book was good for workplace advice, but lacked enough Machiavelli to satisfy me. However, I will concede that she found a lot of great parallels between Machiavelli's observations on princes and the work place. When she incorporated Machiavelli in her analysis and advice, I thought it was spot on.

It also helped me revaluate some of my reading of The Prince. 

I admit that 15th and 16th century Italian history is not something I am an expert in. I know the great artistic masters like Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Rafael (the guys the Teenage Ninja Turtles are named for). I am also aware that Italy was a mishmash of city states that wouldn't be united for at least another few centuries. Oh, and Pope Alexander VI had kids - one of which, Cesare Borgia, is heavily referenced in The Prince because he conquered the Republic of San Marino in 1503. Popes aren't supposed to have kids and their family dynamic was super messed up.

Smith's book added even more historical context around the Italian political climate of 15th and 16th centuries that Machiavelli lived through. Machiavelli had to be a realist when your entire life could be flipped in an instant. Italian republics rose and fell at the same rate Italian Princes did - often and with little stability. He wanted what was best for his home, Florence.

Machiavelli wasn't evil. He was a smart man hoping to do right by his home. In some ways he succeeded. People still read The Prince - though it is often taken out of context.

Smith's book shows that not all conquerors are found on the battlefield. I think she succeeded in writing a modern workplace take on The Prince and has a great understanding of Machiavelli. There are many things we want in this work, but we can't have any of them without taking a hard look at reality.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y'all like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment