Translate

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Welcome to the October Surprise

 Are y'all as exhausted as I am from this past week. The nomination for the new supreme court justice was announced, taxes were released, a debate happened, I got endless joy from the phrase "just shut up man", key people in the current presidential administration came down with coronavirus, and that's just what's been written in the headlines. This week has been insane...and I'm just plain exhausted. 

We are less than a month away from the election.

Are you registered to vote?

Yes, I am. Please stop asking me Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and all the other social media platforms that don't have an "off switch" button for these pop-ups. I feel for the users under the age of 18 (and lied about their age) and the non-citizens who can't opt out of them. No one needs to be reminded a million times about an election they can't participate in. 

The polls all say this, that, and another thing.

None of it matters. Four years ago we were all being told that Hillary Clinton was going to win the election - that didn't happen. 

To be fair, the October Surprise for that election was the report from the FBI. A report that kind of went no where and hasn't stopped anyone else from doing the same thing. 

If you haven't ever heard of the October Surprise, it refers to a last minute event that throws a huge curveball into the US election season (seeing as we vote the first Tuesday of November). It began as a conspiracy theory during the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979 that ended with the hostages' release the same day Regan was inaugurated. The majority of the events that enabled the safe return of the hostages occurred in October 1980 - right before the election. 

I think we've had almost a full week of October Surprises...more than most elections anyway (even 2016). 

Me. It was me.

I'm not surprised, though, that the president caught The Rona. I'm not happy, sad, feeling schadenfreude, or any other emotion that's been shared the past few days. If anything, I am indifferent to the situation. He's been acting so reckless that it was inevitable that the president and those who surround him would catch the virus. 

I still feel nothing.

I don't even feel like this is an "I told you so" type of situation. 

I think I'm too exhausted. 

Life is kicking my butt right now. It's kicking a lot of people's butts right now. I won't go into details. I'm uninterested in putting my whole life on the Internet. Needless to say, that when I do read the latest headlines and watch the most buzz worthy clips, it's with the intention of keeping myself informed while I have a blank expression on my face. 

Fires are still raging in the west. Corona virus has killed more than 200,000 Americans (over a million deaths world wide). Climate change is still happening. My cat bit me this morning because she didn't have any water in her water bowl.

"It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine."

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y'all like hearing from me.

Until the next surprise next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment