Translate

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Welcome to the Fall of 2020

 Fall starts on Tuesday. That's the equinox. 


In my area, the weather is already cooling down and the air has that rich smoked meat and wood sent that I closely associate with home.

Last week, I was a little ticked off when I wrote my blog post. I still am. Thankfully, things are getting better in the Northwestern United States and my family is out of danger. As fire season dies down, we'll have to start preparing for 2021, though it's probably already too late for that. 

We're also at Tropical Storm Beta in the north Atlantic. It's also going to hit Louisiana - along with Texas. Teddy and Wilfred are also still hanging out in the ocean. Two more storms are likely to form. Peak hurricane season continues until mid-October.

Fall can represent the later years of a person's life. Some people might associate that with dying (they're not wrong). Trees loose their leaves. A lot of animals go into hibernation or die because it gets too cold. The days are short and the nights turn long. These patterns are eerie and foreboding.

But there's another side of fall. 

Fall is the time of the harvest. Where all the hard work of Spring and Summer pay off and there is an abundance of food to share. People want to celebrate with their communities in the Fall with festivities like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Bond fires are frequent and who doesn't love to snuggle up to someone on a cool night with a hot drink to share. 

However, to have a good harvest, the right conditions and hard work need to be done. Luck plays a part of it too. Crops can fail even for the best farmers. But even with bad weather, the community can still prosper if they plan right and are willing to make some hard choices to benefit everyone.

This harvest season hasn't started off the most positive. 

On Friday, the world lost one of the most iconic women of this age. The loss of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is tough. I feel both saddened and fearful for a future without her. She was one of those people who seemed invincible. 

RBG may be gone, but she won't be forgotten. She continues to inspire those who wish to take action. 

The season has only just begun and I find myself dreading it's end. A lot can happen in three short months. A lot can change. 

What we do this fall with have consequences for many more falls to come. Like a farmer who needs to prepare for the next Spring's planting, we have to be ready for what nature has in store for us. If we don't have politicians and leadership that can prepare for more violent storms and wild fires, then more people will be in harms way. If we don't address the social hurts of society, we will grow further divided. 

The harvest has begun, but it is not the time to rest. The future is within reach and our actions now will mold it for better or worse. 

I hope you, my readers are staying safe. 

Until next week. 

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment