Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Welcome to the Perks of Pen Pals

The post office and it’s services are important guys.

Not only does it send you bills, junk mail, and coupons, but it is a reliable way for the government to communicate with people (the won’t call or email you), have your medication delivered, and send Christmas cards to all the people you forget about the rest of the year.

The post office was even used in a movie to prove that Santa Clause exists (see the 1947 Miricle on 34th Street - not the 1994 version).

My favorite thing about the post office is that it has allowed me to keep in tough with friends and family I might not otherwise have similar conversations with. I currently have three pen pals whom I regularly send and receive letters. I have one pen pal in particular who loves getting creative with her letter writing. She’s sent me letters in the form of puzzles, on envelops stuffed into one another (something she created), and on beautiful calligraphy paper.

Other things my pen pals have sent me included: short stories, art, poems, Christmas ornaments, a mini journal, and art kits.

It’s a fun hobby I’ve been actively doing since I was in college.

A very small sample of the letters I’ve received over the years
I started writing letters to a high school friend. Well, my friend started sending me letters and I adored the cards she sent and wanted to send her something in return. I haven’t written to that friend as much since leaving school, but I’ve found other friends and family members to share letters with.

Why do I prefer to send letters than email or  text or instant messaging (insert favorite social media app here)?

The answer is a little silly, but I feel really good getting a letter versus the other (faster) forms of communication. It’s almost like getting a present on my birthday. I’ll open up my mailbox and see a small, usually brightly colored envelope and a smile will spread across my face...even if it’s been a terrible day. Getting a letter in the mail makes me feel special.

It takes time to write a letter. A lot of thought goes into the limited amount of space I have to share with my pen pal. Sometimes I’m answering questions, other times I’m curious about something that was written. Often I include the latest book I’m reading and whether or not I like. Occasionally, I’ll go into ideas about future plans.

Picking out which card to send can be just as exciting as the letter writing part. If I’ve been traveling, I’ll pick up a card or two to use and mention some highlights from the trip. Sometimes I find a fun stationary set that I use for months on end. Lately, I’ve been using blank brightly colored cards and drawing on the front. The drawings don’t typically mean anything - though sometimes I’ll include a reason or source of inspiration.

It’s rare that I include anything additional (like the mini journal or other presents I’ve been sent), though other people have sent me things. However, I’ve started doing these mini Polaroid paintings and have started mailing them to my pen pals. Many of these paintings symbolize where I wish I had traveled during the time of COVID-19.

I also hold onto the letters I receive. Sometimes, when I’ve hard a rough day, I go through my collection of letters and start to feel a little better. They’re an uplifting remind that I am connected to other people.

This type of communication just isn’t the same as any other. Sure I might get sent a link to art or receive a lovely note in Facebook’s Messenger, but sometimes I want to have the physical feeling of holding something someone else had. Without letters, I miss out on the little quirks people have developed in their hand writing or the cool stamps (as well as the art) people pick out.

No sharing personal info or messages on a public blog guys.
I know it’s out of fashion and can cost money, but why not try letter writing for your next hobby? You might find that it’s a Major mood lifter.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y’all like hearing from me.

I may or may not update next week...since it’s a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment