Translate

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Welcome to the 20s

It’s a new decade! 

Except for the people who seem to think that 2021 starts the new decade. These people seem to forget that years are counted as integers (that’s why BC years go backwards from zero like negative numbers) and that the first ten integer years are 0-9, not 1-10. 

Ergo 2020 does indeed ring off the new decade.

In the past few weeks, most of social media has been a buzz with reflections on the previous year and decade. Facebook especially seems to like reminding me of all the things that I have ever posted in the past 11 or so years. 

But the time for reflection is over. The roaring twenties are back - hopefully without the huge wealth gap (unlikely) and economic down turn at the end of it - and I want to focus on the future.

So here are some things I want to either experience, do, accomplish, or have happen while the twenties are still around:

  • Bring back jazz and blues as major music movements - technically blues and jazz have never really disappear from modern music, but the two genres have been overshadowed for long enough. The Broadway play Hadestown is an excellent example of how jazz and blues are still relevant.
  • Keep getting published - I have had a short story published and I will soon have a poem published. My family thinks it’s awesome and are extremely encouraging in my writing. I love writing and hope to have a novel out sooner rather than later along with other short stories and poems.
  • Help the world - whether by doing more volunteer work or working in an industry that allows me to help the environment, people, or science in some capacity, I want to be more involved with the things I’m passionate about.
  • Travel more - I want to see the world, meet new people, and experience new cultures. I want to document and record my explorations and inspire others to be open to new adventures.
  • Go on an adventure - this one could tie in nicely with my goal to travel more, but adventures can happen everywhere, when I least expect them to happen. I live in the shadow of one of the most exciting cities in the world, so I don’t necessarily have to go far to find an adventure.
  • Read more - recently I’ve gotten into poetry and I’m always up for a good cozy mystery book, but I also want to keep reading the classics, new authors - especially from communities that haven’t had the largest representation - and the occasional non-fiction book.
  • Continue learning - I am a researcher by nature. I want to know things, I want to experience things, know how something works. I’m curious and a problem solver. I’m considering furthering my education, but as I’ve learned, nothing is set in stone.
  • See more plays and live performances - since I live close to New York, I’m lucky enough to see a live performance. Last year I tried to see a play a month, and, while I didn’t quite make my goal, I still saw a lot of awesome performances. I’d like to include more dance and music shows if I can.
I admit that some of these things are a little vague. I do t even really have a set timeline for them. I just know that these are things I’m interested in. Some of these goals might take a little while longer than others. Some might not happen at all.

Writing this all down helps me visualize my goals. I feel one step closer to them being real. They’ll take time to accomplish and in a few years, I might change them around or add to this list. 

There’s a lot changing in my life and there are times when I feel a change affecting the world at large. Do you guys, my awesome readers, feel that too? What are some of your hope and goals for the twenties? I recommend writing them down or recording them somewhere. You don’t have to share them like I have, but it might help you live the life you want to in-between the parts we don’t like as much.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment