Translate

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Welcome to Fun in the Mud

Yesterday I did my first ever mud run. Muckfest is a multi-city mud run event with the goal of rising funds to find a cure for multiple sclerosis (MS). I know a few people who suffer from MS and have seen how it effects their lives. 

Muckfest (also known as the FUN mud run) has been around since 2011. A few years ago, my coworkers started to go as a fun way to do team building and fundraising for a good cause. This year was my first year along with one of my other coworkers.

I tried to do some training for the event, but I was still pretty unprepared for some of the obstacles (plus I walked instead of ran the 5K part). From what I’ve come to understand, each of the obstacles were selected because of how they related to the day to day struggles of people with MS. 

Some of them were fairly easy, like crawling over a rope bridge or swinging into a pool of muddy water. Some were very challenging, like rope climbing up and down a “mountain” or crawling on your stomach under a tarp through the very thick mud (I did not do this one).Some obstacles were funny, like getting hit by a giant ball and thrown into a mud puddle. Finally there were the downright terrifying obstacles, like jumping off a platform onto a blowup cushion (was no one else scared of this one or was it just me?).



Prior to crossing the starting line, the MC of the event got us pumped up and ready to get muddy. However, before we officially began, he told us that within 48 hours, we should be ready to tell a story about our time on the course. Whether it was helping someone with an obstacle or someone helping you, whether it was doing something you didn’t think you could do or facing an obstacle that you thought would be easy, we should tell our stories about our adventures running.

I don’t think I have an “amazing” stories to tell. I didn’t help many people as I was the person often being pulled out of the mud (it was very sticky). However, there were a number of challenges where I stood up afterwards, turned to my friend, threw my arms up and yelled “I live!” I especially didn’t like the obstacles where I was free-falling (either into a muddy water pit or a squishy giant pillow). 

It wasn’t an easy corse by any stretch of the imagination. For people living with MS, mobility can be very difficult. I know I often take for granted the fact that I am an able-bodied person.  Not everyone can do the same physical activities I can.

If you know someone who suffers from MS, please consider trying the Muckrun. There are a few events throughout the United States. You can create a team or donate money to a team. 

If you have MS, there are also options to participate in the run. I saw a few people who shared with the event that they have MS and wanted to run.

Oh and don’t wear a white shirt or sneakers. They will never be white again.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y’all like hearing from me.

Until next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment