Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Welcome to Icons Part 6: Iconic Moments in History

Have you ever wondered what you would have been doing during some of histories biggest events? Would you have marched with the Martin Luther King Jr. during the Civil Rights movement? Or picketed the White House with the Women's Suffragettes? Which side of the French Revolution would you have fought on?

History has always fascinated me. From a young age, I'd watch documentaries on anything and everything that was on the History Channel (you know, before it became nothing but pawn shop reality TV and aliens). I especially loved the specials on Halloween and warriors of the ancient world.

I spent many days in history class imaging what it would have been like to be apart of some of the biggest events taught in class. I wished I could have gone to Woodstock and jammed with the rest of hippie culture. I imagined what it would have been like to journey along the Oregon Trail (and hopefully not die of dysentery).

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that I've lived through some pretty big historical events (at least from an American perspective). At the time, I might not have realized they how big or significant they were going to become or the ways these events would change the course of history. Some events will leave a positive impact on my life and the lives of many other people. I got to witness the election of the United State's first black president and the legalization of gay marriage. Other events have left scars that will likely never fade, like living through 9/11.

Every generation seems to have a few events that they will always think back to and remember with exact detail. I remember asking my family about different events that they lived through. My mom has a couple of memories from the Detroit riots. My dad likes to joke about surviving the nuclear meltdown at Three Mile Island. I've heard that my grandfather never forgot the day Pearl Harbor was attached. And there were a lot of stories about how my grandparent's families lived through the Great Depression.

Decades seemed to be defined by certain events that happened. When I think of the 1930s, I image the Dust Bowl and extreme poverty. The United States of the 1960s, I imagine a country divided by politics. The Civil Rights Movement was at it's height as were the protests against the Vietnam War. JFK was assassinated and astronauts walked on the moon. The 2000s were a time of rapid progress and prosperity before it all came crashing down in 2008. The start of the decade launched us into an era of fear and ended with a slogan for "Hope".

Everything that has already happened is history. Some things have been forgotten and lost to time, such as the origins of the Nazca Lines. There are events that are only remembered through folklore and legend. Remember when archaeologists found the city of Troy? Most historians had thought the story was just a myth before physical evidence suggested otherwise.

History is written by the people who survive events and make an effort to pass down knowledge. The event that happened can't change, but how it is recorded and remembered can. History can be used to inspire nationalism and extreme pride in a country's people, almost to the point of blind devotion in extreme cases. It can be written in a way that hides or brushes over "uncomfortable" truths that modern societies would rather forget than acknowledge. It's never rewritten, but occasionally needs to be revised.

There are major events going on all the time. I can't just dream about what I would have done, but what I can do in the present. Protests and counter protests have been all over my news feed and social media. The threat of a nuclear attack is at the highest that I can remember (I wasn't exactly around for the Cold War).

What will the 2010s be remembered for?

What impact will I have on these events? Only time will tell.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment