Translate

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Welcome To Chopped

I'm sensing a theme in my latest blog posts. Last week, I had just watched Star Trek Beyond. This week I am basing my title (and theme) off of the fact that I've been watching a lot of Chopped on Netflix. I'm actually watching Chopped as I type up this post (seated in my kitchen).

If you aren't familiar with the show, it's basically four chefs compete in three course rounds where at the end of each round, one person is "chopped" (does not advance to the next round). On top of that, they are given four mystery ingredients that they have to use for that round and only a limited amount of time to create their dishes. There have been many ingredients that popped up that I have no idea what they are.

It's amazing what these competitors can do.

It's so much fun to watch and I get a lot of great ideas to make my own dishes. Between Chopped and my local farmer's market, I've been introduced to a lot of new things to eat. Not just the types of food, but also the colors and shapes the food I'm used to can take.


Orange cauliflower anyone?


I think it takes a lot of guts to work with anything (be it food, technology, or crafting items) that someone might not be familiar with. It might work out, but at least the effort was made and a new experience learned.

Back in January (right before I started my current job), I started a food blog. I did this in an effort to get out of my comfort zone, learn to cook new things, and continue to practice writing (along with this blog, my webcomic, fanfiction, and my own original fiction - yes this is a lot of writing).

For the most part, I've had a lot of success with my cooking experiments (I don't always follow a recipe). However, I have had a few things blow up in my face. When that happens, I sometimes have to make changes to my lunch/dinner plans. (S/N pan frying is a lot harder than it looks).

I can't always plan for when one of my cooking experiments blows up in my face (that only happened once by the way). Experimenting allows me to find out what works and what I definitely will not do ever again. It's fun and keeps me on my toes.

Leftover BBQ Pork Rice Bowl

I doubt I'd ever compete on Chopped (I don't really like the idea of being on camera), but I do respect the people who do compete. Experimenting is key to innovation and it can be a surprise as to what works and what doesn't.

Now, I'm going to try making chocolate covered potato chips. It can't bee too hard right?

If you enjoyed this post (or if really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Until next week!

1 comment:

  1. I love Chopped also. Cooking is a creative process, just like writing. You can find inspiration anywhere!

    ReplyDelete