Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Welcome To Being A Writer

Writer's Block Is My One True Enemy

I'm sure if you've been reading this blog for a while (or you've finally caved into Facebook annoying you into clicking on it). Then you will know that I like to write. It helps me gather my thoughts, express my feelings, and make sense of this crazy world I've stumbled into. I don't necessarily post everything I'm thinking (that would be silly and likely get me into a lot of sticky situations).

Writing is my hobby (along with several others, but this post is just focusing on writing).

A little over a year ago a posted about how I wrote a novel. I've reread it and have started rewriting it. That part of the writing process is not fun. There are a lot of changes I want to make all while battling the urge to move onto my next story. It's been a long process and I've needed to step away from that project to work on a few others.

Que me starting a webcomic. I'd already been drawing (more like doodling) and wanted to expand on what I was already doing. In truth it was an experiment to see if I was able to post one comic per week and be able to improve both my story telling and art style over the course of at least a year. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary next month and so far I've managed to gain 4 followers, 1 regular commenter, and significantly improve in quality all while only missing one week. I'm calling it a success.

I blame TV for setting our expectations too high.

 So now I have one regular blog I write and a webcomic in my spare time. How else can I over complicate my down time?

Why not start a second weekly blog? This one focusing on something a lot less personal, food pairings! I'm already cooking a lot, I might as well take an hour out of my week to write it all down.

Somehow I am able to do all of this. That's not to say some of my writing hasn't suffered (*cough this one *cough), but I'm branching out and trying new writing styles. I'm also slowly (like snail stuck in molasses slow) gaining a following. Also I want to be clear that I the only thing I get out of this is the fulfillment that I am able to write (the attention is also nice, but it can come at a price - I still fly under most people's radar, so it's not an issue right now).

Maybe someday I'll be able to quit my job and turn my hobby into my source of income. Many people do it, but right now I'm still learning. I still need to refine my writing style, figure out my voice. Until then, I'm going to keep trying. It's hard work and a commitment to my time, but it's also great for getting rid of stress, organizing my thoughts, and reminding people that I'm still hiding out somewhere on this planet.

If you or someone you know is interested in writing (novels, poems, comics, etc.) the best way to start, in my opinion, is with a journal. It doesn't have to be super expensive or even fancy. It could be an old unused composition notebook you didn't use in the 2nd grade.

Cause here's a big secret: if you write you are a writer.

Sure I might not be famous and don't make any money from my work, but that doesn't stop me. I keep writing. Oh, and don't forget reading. Reading and writing go together, like bread and butter. Most writers (at least the ones I prefer reading) will always tell their fans who want to be like them to read and write as much as possible. I know I am.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Now where did I leave my outlines?

No comments:

Post a Comment