Translate

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Welcome To The Art of Mindfulness

I was talking with someone about over thinking things and this person gave me a great quote. "Thinking about the past causes depression, thinking about the future brings anxiety, but being mindful of the present brings peace." This quote probably is oversimplifying the seriousness of anxiety and depression, but it did get me thinking about a couple of things.

When I am practicing yoga, my yoga teachers try to emphasize the concept of mindfulness. This means being in the present and being in control of my current actions. It allows me to acknowlede the thoughts I might be having, but not engaging them. It also means drawing my focus on my current actions rather than any past or future actions. When I am at yoga practice I should be focused on myself doing yoga, not what I am going to do after yoga nor what I was doing prior to arriving.

A big part of mindfulness is not beating myself up when I make a mistake (or gloating when I do something right). I notice that it happened, but I do not let draw me away from the next movement I have transitioned to.

It is something I had to learn to do and once I did, I found myself being able to relax and let go during my practice. My yoga teachers also talked about the importance of mindfulness outside of yoga. Instead of going through my morning routine on autopilot, I should focus on each task while I do it. I should take my time and notice what each hand is doing.

Taking mindfulness into my daily life is a challenge. There are a lot of distractions and emotions that can draw my mind away from the present. I also need to think of deadlines and any unexpected emergencies that might come up.

This past weekend I learned that mindfulness is very important for a lot of tasks. It can help manage different emotions and decrease the likelihood for me to do something unintelligent. It brings me to a single point in the exact moment that I am in.

I take a deep breath, let it part way out, and do my task. All the while I keep breathing and focusing on the moment.

Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Now on to learning from my missteps.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I am so happy to hear that you are practicing yoga and mindfulness. And the more you practice, the more benefits you will feel. It is very helpful for anxiety because it stops that train of future thinking and worrying and reminds you that you can't control those things. All you can do is focus on where you are at right now. It took me until my 40's to learn the things that you are speaking about. You are ahead of your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still make mistakes on occasion, but I'm working on it. I'm starting to focus on deep breathing more and more.

      Delete