Translate

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Welcome To The Melt Down

It would figure that throughout this entire week of subzero temperatures that it would end with a huge snow storm. Well I got roughly six inches of snow yesterday. It was pretty. I had wanted to do some errands, but that didn't happen since the snow managed to barricade my car. So I was a little surprised today to go out in 60 degree weather.

Since it's supposed to go down to the 20s tonight (and stay there for the next few days), I'm going to take a guess that my car will be covered in a thick sheet of ice tomorrow. I think this is punishment for having such a mild summer.

The worst part about all of this is trying to get my car out of my parking lot (hey there is only so much I can stand to stay inside on the weekend). My parking lot is uncovered and doesn't always get plowed as quickly as I need it. This particular morning wasn't too bad since it got so warm, but there are other days when it just doesn't seem like I should have put in the effort to get out of bed.

So how does someone dig their car out of a snow pile when they live south of the Mason Dixon line? (Yes techinqually Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line, I was shocked by this news as well). Here are some tips for those of us who aren't used to more than a few inches of snow at a time.

1) Buy a snow/ice scrapper - I wasn't sure I needed one until it took me twenty minutes to defrost my car one November morning. I was late to work. It helps to speed up getting the ice and snow off my car without getting my hands soaked.

2) Get the spray stuff that gets rid of ice - I haven't done this yet, but it definatly helps you save on gas and time.

3) Have a small shovel handy - the plow that comes through my parking lot likes to leave a small mountain of snow and ice in front of my car. Thus even after clearing all the snow and ice off my car, I still might not be able to leave. Having a small shovel gets that pile out of the way.

4) Salt - And not table salt, salt you buy at a hardware store. It will help the ice melt a little faster and make the walk from your door to your car easier (I've already fallen twice this year). Just don't put the salt directly on your car.

5) Kitty Litter - Yeah I didn't beleive this one either, but it apparently works. Since some people might not have had the opportunity to go out and get salt, kitty litter makes for a great substitute. It allows  for some traction under the tires. So cat owners rejoice, you will have a much easier time getting to work.

These are just some of the methods I have used to dig my car out. There are more ways to free an ice entrapped car and its good information to know. So far these methods I know work. And hopefully the drive is safe once the car hits the road.

If you enjoyed this post, or it really pissed you off, please like, share, or comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys are amused by my misadventures. Until next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment