Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Welcome To The Game Plan

Ha ha what game plan?

I have come to the realization that I have absolutely know idea what my long term goals are. This is a first for me. I have always had a plan and if the first plan didn't work out, I had a backup plan. Though I still make plans, they are mostly short term. This is a first.

I knew which college I wanted to attend at 9 years old. Yep 9. I think my parent's theory was to get me interested early so I had something to work towards. I then spend the next 9 years working my tail off getting in to said college. I was strategic. I did my research. I knew which programs in middle and high school to attend, the classes I needed to take and the grades I needed every step of the way.

I ended up burnt out by my sophomore year of college (I really don't recommend taking three math based classes and a language in one semester), but I did it. I acheived my goal.

My next step was to graduate college, find a job and move out. I am still occasionally amazed that I pulled all there of those goals off.

Honestly, I think the only reason I met those goals is because I wanted them badly. So badly I planned my very existence around it. There weren't any built in short cuts, no room to deviate from the paths I wanted to trek. I wanted it and I was going to work as hard as I could to earn it.

Now I don't know what I want.

Well, that's only partially true. I have a list of things that would be nice to have and would like to do. I am writing a novel and planning out several others (nearly at 50,000 words for the first one). I have yearly goals with my job and I am hopefully advancing in my career.

I just don't know what my next step in my life is. Do I want to get my Masters? If I do, then in what subject? Do I want to get married and have a family? Do I want to become a hobo and travel the world?

I don't know.

I know I like my place. I like my friends. I like my job. I guess that's what it means to be an adult: being confident to make decisions without having any idea where it might lead you. Not knowing what to do it normal and allows for some interesting things to happen. I'm just not sure where to go next because if I've learned anything, it's that nothing is permanent.


If you enjoyed this post, or it really pissed you off, please like, share of comment. I love hearing from my readers and hope you guys are getting something out of these posts. Until next week.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You are wise to recognize that the beauty in life is not to have a game plan and let things unfold over time. You can explore many options and make choices as opportunities present themselves. Be open to the infinite possibilities of the universe...

    ReplyDelete