Translate

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Welcome To The Balancing Act

It's harder than it looks...

Before I start, did anyone else catch Schoolhouse rock on ABC tonight. "I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill and I'm sitting here on Capital Hill." Anyway back to our regularly scheduled blog post.

Huh, looking at this picture, I realize I never quite seem able to get to that last one. Maybe I should have included a person running along the scale to show the actual effort to balance it (like the ones in Wii Fit or Mario Party [insert number here]) and keeping it steady. It's challenging and not always worth the effort (that's when people don't hear from me for weeks on end, send out search parties, the whole bruhaha when I'm actually hiding under a rock in my place).

My scale at it's simplest (see above) can be any number of combinations: work and home life, being social and not being social, exercise and laziness. Just take your pick, I do. I'm also under the impression that other people have these "scales" and try to balance them just as much as I do. There seem to be a lot of examples of this in the media and workforce promotions in college. They tend to use the phrase "work - life balance". They should add the word "act" to it.

There are a lot of things I want to do (and as I was watching the Schoolhouse Rock special a few hours ago), I'm reminded of all the things I could do as a kid. There wasn't as much responsibility, plenty of play time and nap time (though I hated nap time back then). My point is, being an adult drains the energy out of me. I miss the days I felt rejuvenated after school and could ride my bike for hours. Now I get home from work and am lucky to be motivated enough to make dinner. I primarily blame traffic.

One of my friends had a great status on Facebook after she started her job. I don't remember what exactly it was word for word, but, in summary, she was asking how it was possible for people to come home from work and make dinner or workout. All she wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch TV. My only response was motivation. I need lots and lots of motivation when I get home.

If I don't cook dinner, I don't get dinner.

If I don't do laundry, I have nothing to wear.

If I don't work out, I am grouchy (well grouchier).

I'll get there eventually. Then I'll tell all of my secrets to my readers. That's why I'm still mapping out Wonderland, so you don't have to!

Oh no, I'm watching too much Nostalgia Critic again. To the anime section!

If you enjoyed this post please like, share, or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and getting feed back. If you have any questions don't hesitate to comment. Though trolls will be banished to live under bridges the rest of their lives (and not the picturesque Michigan lower peninsula). Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment