Translate

Monday, September 30, 2013

Welcome To Fixing Things



From Work Orders and Running Toilet

                I know I am a day late again, but I have a good reason. I got home really late last night and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Having plenty of sleep to do work in the morning trumps writing a quick blog post (though I really should work on making them a little longer) any day. So instead I am writing it today while watching Sleepy Hollow. If you haven’t seen the show yet, you should. It’s pretty creepy. If you like things like Supernatural, Buffy, X-files (maybe not to that level) or any of the old school scary shows from my generation (Are You Afraid of the Dark, So Weird, and Goosebumps).
                Anyway, I have been having apartment problems for a few months. Okay, I’ve had apartment problems since I moved in. I have since discovered that the guys who come to repair things are really nice and good at their job. My first problem (that hasn’t been fixed yet, but I live) was that when I moved in, my screen door needed to be replaced. It still has a hole in it, but it’s at least covered. My second problem was the door issue. It still is a little warped, but at least I can open it now without throwing out my bad shoulder. My third (and most annoying problem) was my toilet. All of my other problems I could live with, but running toilets are an enemy worth fighting.
                I didn’t really notice it at first. I thought it was the guy above me being really noisy (more on him/her later possibly).  I can hear what goes on in the apartment above me, so it wasn’t much of a stretch to think that was what the noise was. It also didn’t run all that often. That was until I noticed that something was off and I tried to investigate for myself. The lessons I learned that night were a) running toilets are really really loud and I can’t sleep when they go off every four hours and b) I should not mess with things unless I actually know what I’m doing. I honestly did not sleep that night. It was awful.
                The next day that guy came and fixed my toilet. I watched him do it so that I would know what do to next time, but he noticed that something was a little off about how everything was sitting. He said to call if it was still having problems. The toilet worked and everything was peachy for about a month and a half. Then I noticed that the toilet was running, again. Not as often as four minutes at least, but it was noticeable (that and the guy/girl above me has since moved out so I know it wasn’t him/her). I called in to have it fixed for the second time. The repair guys came while I was at work and called to let me know everything was put into its right place and to call if there are any problems.
                I get home, happy that my toilet is finally completely fixed. I started making dinner and that was when I heard my toilet roar again. That’s really the only way to describe a running toilet; it sort of roars its displeasure at being broken. So I called the emergency “fix it line.” They are very nice and very good at keeping a new tenet calm in the face of a very stressful situation. They sent another person to fix it within the hour. Luckily this time it was just that the weight was too high and simple enough to fix. I truly hope that this is the last of the toilet problems (though the repair guys said that it was a common enough problem here). I’m going to go with it being that the pipes are really old. Heck my pipes in the shower leak. I have no idea how to fix that, but I did report it to the landlady. Now if only they would fix my screen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment