Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Welcome to Nostalgia



 You never get the past back...

This will probably be a short post. It’s been a long week and I’ve been in the car way too much. Just as a reminder, please let me know of any spelling or grammar problems.
I dropped my sister off for her first year of college yesterday. There were tears from her and my mom while I kind of sat back on my heels and realized that one of the coolest chapters of my life had ended. It felt weird for me to be dropping her off and heading home instead of staying at my old school (no we will not have the same alma mater). I know she’s probably feeling a little nervous about the whole thing, heck I remember I was terrified to talk to anyone, but I know she is going to have the best time of her life. It also reminded me how much I’m going to miss being a college student.
It’s not that I’m trying to complain about being an “official” adult or anything (disclaimer: this blog is not a place for me to rant, except at UPS, but that is a later post). I just feel a little lost without the safety net of school and my friends. I miss being able to feel completely safe anywhere I went on campus (I’m in a safe area, but I still wouldn’t wander around here at night). I also did not have to worry about having a car, the bus and trolley system was pretty good. It was easy to make friends and there was always something to do and something going on. Not to mention cheap movie deals and discounts at Good Will.
College was a great transition into adulthood. I loved the freedom of making my own choices and knowing I could crash on any of my friends couches if I had to. Now I still have the freedom to make those choices, but I have to deal with harsher consequences like having to pay to fix my car if it breaks down.
I’m starting to realize that this post is very similar to my first one, but after a month in Wonderland have discovered that I really miss my time at school. With summer ending I have had to face the reality that this job is not an internship, it’s the start of my career.
I am glad that my sister has moved out and it now becoming an “adult”. I can’t wait to hear about her classes and finding out how she does on her first midterm (I hope it’s not tears). I know she is going to make lots of new friends and her roommate seems really nice.
My mom and I had to stop at Dairy Queen on the way back from dropping off my sister. Mom got a Hot Fudge Sunday and got a mini blizzard. It made mom feel better. When we finally got home we watched The Rescuers Down Under because I will probably never mature enough to outgrow cartoons. I think it made her feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment