Translate

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Welcome to Two Grumpy Old Men

Please note: this blog post contains spoilers for the movie "Up" (2009). If you haven't seen the movie, go watch it. I bet you'll be crying within ten minutes.

Have y'all seen the movie "Grumpy Old Men" (1993)?

I did a long time ago with my parents. It was on TV, though I think we did have it on VHS (if you know what that is, you know what that is). I thought the name was funny and I remember enjoying it. I think it was the first movie I saw with Jack Lemon in it (I love him in "Some Like It Hot").

Grumpy old people bickering is a funny trope in movies and TV shows. It's usually between two people who have known each other way too long and know each other way too well. They're usually friends, though sometimes siblings or a married couple, or their relationship has descended into frenemies. It's comedy gold when well written.

I hope to some day have a person like that in my twilight years. 

Some notable works of media with grumpy old people arguing with each other include "The Princess Bride" (Miracle Max and his wife), "Mary Poppins" (the bankers), Disc World Books featuring Granny Weatherwax and her gaggle of companions, and, of course, Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets.

Maybe Sesame Street will one day do an episode where they show Bert and Ernie as grumpy old people...or Zoe and Elmo. Honestly, I would pay to see a grumpy old Elmo arguing with an equally elderly Zoe about Rocco.\

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to watch two grumpy old guys on a big screen outside my apartment complex. 

No, these aren't the two grumpy old guys you're thinking of.

I'm talking about the movie "Up". 

My apartment complex was hosting a resident appreciation day, which included turning part of our parking lot into a mini campsite with theater space complete with popcorn machine and s'more makers. The movie they opted for, likely trying to stick with the theme and draw a larger audience, was "Up".

And "Up" has some amazing characters from Russel and Doug to Kevin and Alpha to, of course, Carl Frederickson (voiced by Ed Asner) and Charles Muntz (voiced by Christopher Plummer - I think he had a lot of fun with his last decade of roles he chose). 

Carl Frederickson is the quint essential grumpy old man. One of my favorite scenes is when the house is flying through the air and Russel knocks on the door, begging to be let inside. Mr. Frederickson just says "no" and slams the door shut before opening it again and ushering Russel inside the flying house. I laugh every time and it is peak grumpy old man. 

Some might argue that Muntz isn't a grumpy old man, he's just a crazy old man. However, I'd argue that if I'd been stuck in an isolated location looking for a mythical "monster" with a bunch of talking dogs for decades, I'd be a bit grumpy along with the crazy. 

The ending showdown between Muntz and Mr. Frederickson is hilarious because of their physical comedy and snipping one liners. I'd almost feel bad for Muntz, except that he was a crazy murderous loner who was relentlessly hunting Kevin (who's a girl by the way). Mr. Frederickson saves the day and ensures that Russel gets his helping the elderly badge, gives Doug a loving home, and gets Kevin back to her babies. He also becomes just a little less grumpy.

"Up" is a family friendly grumpy old people movie and I love it.

Kevin might be my favorite character...

It's also a movie I can only watch every once in a while. I cry every time within the first ten minutes and then again when Mr. Frederickson find's Ellie's Adventure Book. I was also bawling my eyes out when the credits rolled - not because of a sad scene, but because I'd recently experienced a loss of a loved one. "Up" just hits me right in the feels. I love the story and it's one of the movies I watch (like "Coco") when I need an uplifting movie that will also make me cry (it's a rare combo, but the need does sometimes strike me).

It was certainly a better Thursday night watch than what was happening on CNN.

Have you guys seen "Up"? What movies do you guys like with grumpy old people bickering away? Are there any movies you guys love, but find hard to watch because they also make you feel feelings you might not have felt in a long time?

Let me know in the comments. 

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y'all like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment