Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Welcome to the Christmas Cards I Write

I am, however, not dreaming of a white Christmas. I hope any and all snows stays far, far away from the Old Dominion for the next two weeks.

I freely admit that I love letter writing and having pen pals. I’ve had a few over the years and currently maintain regular corespondents with three people. It’s fun to read up on what people are doing with their lives, how things change, and (most important) what they are reading.


As the holidays draw close, though, I compile a list of family I am unlikely to see and some close friends (whom I have addresses for) to send Holiday cards to. Many of them are Christmas themed, but some of the recipients don’t celebrate that Christmas, so I try to include more winter themes.

This year I decided to punish challenge myself by hand painting all of the cards I sent out. The last batch will hopefully go out tomorrow. Normally, I buy cards (after the holidays so there’s a discount) and include a painting that I created over the year as a small gift. Since I started doing this, a few of my cousins felt that the paintings themselves should be the cards.

Well, I wasn’t all that thrilled by my miniature paintings this year. They weren’t festive enough for this time of year. Or I didn’t think they were good enough to send to other people. Or I liked them too much (that happens sometimes).

So I got out the paints, bought a bunch of envelops, and set to work.

It’s been a relaxing way to spend the run up to the final holidays of the year. I’ve even gotten a few cards in return.

Though card and letter writing has mostly fallen out of fashion, I find it a small treat to open my mailbox and find something from a friend rather than more advertisements. There’s some thing relaxing and intimate when it comes to writing letters of any kind - which is why I still enjoy writing my Holiday cards.


It’s one way to remind someone that you’re thinking of them.

Do you enjoy writing letters or sending out Holiday cards? What about receiving them? Have you ever had a pen pal? Do you still keep in touch with them?

It’s the season for togetherness and sometimes the only way to do that is through a small note or card wishing someone a happy new year.

See y’all in 2023. It’s only two Sundays away.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y’all like hearing from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment