Translate

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Welcome to the 2022 Homestretch

Is anyone else slightly confused by the sudden appearance of holiday decorations and music? Why is it so dark in the early evening? Weren’t we just enjoying warm weather and sun?

Me at midnight on New Years Eve

Okay, that last question may be climate change since the temperature in my area keeps fluctuating between mid 70s and low 50s (low 20s to about 10C). And don’t even get me started on the sudden changes in humidity. My poor body is so confused.

However, I will admit that the next few weeks will go by fast.

Much faster than any of us probably want them to.

2022 is almost over. We have less than two months to squeeze the last bit of our resolutions out of it. The year of the tiger will soon morph into a cute fluffy rabbit. We’ll be another year older and hopefully wiser. My free time is booking up fast.

I enjoy the last few months of the year. Some of the best tasting food is made between September (apple cider donuts), October (pumpkin spice and everything nice), November (anyone want more stuffing?), and December (I really shouldn’t have another cookie, but I know I totally will). I love fall and winter spice blends and scents. There’s usually a fire going in my fireplace in cool autumn nights and snowy winter days. Tea and hot chocolate keep me warm. My cat is cuddlier than usual.

The last few months of the year are decorated with twinkling lights and spooky images. Families (blood and found) come together to celebrate each other. Friends get together in ugly sweaters, while coworkers learn who can and can’t handle their drinks.

It all goes by in a blink.

I mean we’re technically already half way through the Holidays (depending on when you start). And I do mean Holidays - plural - because there are a lot. Starting in September, there’s Rosh Hashanah and the equinox. October started with Yom Kippur, followed by Diwali, and wrapped up with Halloween. In November we observe Veterans Day and Thanksgiving (at least in the States - Canada’s is in October) - shame Election Day doesn’t quite count. Finally, there’s all the events in December such as Hanukkah, Yule/the Winter Solstice, Christmas, Kwanza, New Years Eve, and Festivus for the rest of us (as long as that’s the only thing to come from Seinfeld).

Parties are planned from September to January. Many people take off work and travel (if they have the privilege and financial means to). There’s a reason the famous song “There’s No Place Like Home For The Holidays” mentions the traffic (seriously never ever travel the day before Thanksgiving).

If you don’t hear from me much the next two months, it’s because time has no meaning until January.

Have a happy and safe holiday season. Despite the crazy black hole time suck that blind sides us this time of year, I hope you and I can take a moment to slow down and appreciate the good food, fun company, and pretty decorations.

Until the next post.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope y’all like hearing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment