Translate

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Welcome to Phantom of the Opera

Don't cry for The Phantom, Broadway. The truth is he'll never leave you. He'll hide in the sewers with the subway rats and sneak through the rafters of the next show to find its home at the Majestic Theater. 

That's right - The Phantom of the Opera is leaving Broadway.


1988 may not have had social media like we do today, but Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber's famous (or infamous) show proudly welcomed local and (mostly) tourist alike to through its doors for an amazing performance. 

Sadly, all things come to an end...and the show fell victim to the pandemic. It will become a memory alone in the moonlight after February 23rd, 2023 - a few weeks after it's 35th anniversary. 

The musical is an amazing production. The movie that came out in 2004 and it does not do justice its source material (neither the show nor the book). There's something magical about seeing the candles rise out of the stage's fog while the orchestra swells. It's heart pounding watching The Phantom throw fireballs at Raoul and Christine - it's replaced by a silly sword fight in the movie. And the Chandelier falling at the end of the first act is incredible.

I'm glad I got to see it on stage at least once.

Though I will admit, this isn't my favorite adaptation of the story. That honor goes to The Phantom of the Opera Wishbone episode "Pantin at the Opera". A close second is the original Lon Chaney 1925 silent movie, followed by Phantom of the Megaplex and Phantom of the Paradise tied for third.

However, Lord Webber's rock opera entered pop culture, found a foothold in little theater kids' hearts and midwestern moms' souls, to explode into ubiquitous culture. Something Cats will never be able to do (please let the movie be a fever dream).



A YouTuber who did a lot of video essays on The Phantom of the Opera book and its many adaptations (including the musical, it's sequel, it's many knock offs) once said that "civilization will fall and Phantom of the Opera will still be playing on Broadway". They were kind of right. COVID-19 struck and the show managed to last a few years after its peak. 

Yet, the lack of tourism to New York and the very high budget needed to maintain the ability for a guy to throw a legit fireball at two other people was the death knell for the show.

The final performance will be held on Saturday, February 18th, 2023.

It was magical. It was fun. It had a great theater run. Such dazzling performances. How the tourists loved the performances. 

It was Broadway's Phantom of the Opera.

Let me know of any fond memories or your favorite adaptations of the story. I remember first seeing the movie with my cousin at my grandmother's house and then (reluctantly) seeing the stage production with an aunt and cousin after getting (severely) discounted tickets - I'm glad I did. 

I know the story has its problems and certain parts of social media are having fun with all of their "hot takes" (seriesouly don't look at the theater side of Twitter right now), but there's a reason this musical stuck around for so long and nearly everyone in the United States is familiar with this serialized French story. 

I think it has something to do with the amazing 80s guitar riff.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. 

Until next week. 

By the way, I've made several references through out this post to other Webber musicals. Cats is directly called out, but I also referenced Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat, Evita, and Jesus Christ Superstar. Feel free to let me know if you spot them. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I've seen Phantom several times and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to see on stage and am sad it's leaving. I hope it'll go on tour again soon.

      Delete