Translate

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Welcome to Writing During the Time of Covid-19

There’s been a lot of talk on social media about people wanting to take up a creative endeavor (such as writing), and having trouble doing it. Though I can’t speak for all writers, I can speak for my own experience writing. And I know that when my life feels completely out of my control, I struggle with writing anything...even in my personal journal.

However, that struggle shouldn’t stop writers (new and old) from trying. All I ask is that writers don’t put a ton of pressure on themselves right now to write the next great novel or classic short story.

I blog to stay sane...
I was recently gifted a year’s subscription to MasterClass. There are a lot of different classes to take and learn from some incredible and accomplished people. The first class I finished was a gardening class (because naturally I would pick a class on plants) by the gangsta gardener Ron Finley. It was fun and entertaining and I was excited to check more classes.

To my delight, there were a ton of classes by famous authors on writing.

Now I’ve been writing for a while, though I’ve only recently had my first publication, and have learned a lot by attending writer’s groups and workshops. Some of the best ways to learn to write is to connect with other writers to better understand the craft (and writing really is a craft).

One of the first classes on writing I decided to try was on writing short stories by Joyce Carol Oates. So far, it’s been a good class and I’m also trying to work through the workbook that goes with the class.

In a past blog post, I wrote about keeping a journal has been helping me during these crazy times. That practice was brought up during Joyce Carol Oates’s class. If you’ve been needing an outlet or are interested in starting a writing project, find a blank notebook (or a half used notebook) and start putting pen to paper. If you can’t find a notebook, I’ve been known to use my notes sections on my phone and tablet to write (for me it’s usually poetry).

I have a lot of journals
However, some of you guys might be interested in starting a writing career while stuck at home with little todo. I think that’s a great idea. Whether it’s a novel, series of poems, or some short stories, writing stories is awesome and we need more writers.

Now, you might be wondering, what about publishing the stuff I write?

To which I would tell you: woah - hold your horses.

Getting published is an awesome goal, but don’t be under some misguided notion that that’s what is going to happen right away when you start writing. It took me years of hard work and learning about the craft of writing to even get my foot in the door. And my experience isn’t that unusual. Rejection will become your greatest frenemy.

If you want to write during the time of Covid-19, do it.

Write anything and everything and don’t worry about publishing. Write a journal, poetry, short stories, novels, or even that weird fan fiction idea that’s been buzzing in the back of your mind (it might not be as weird as you think). I don’t keep it a secret that I got my start writing in fan fiction.

And like I said, don’t put pressure on yourself to write something great. There’s a lot that goes into writing that goes beyond the craft (like emotions).

If you’re interested in learning more about the craft of writing, see about taking an online class, check out one of the many books on writing, or join a writing group (one that’s meeting online) whom are good at critiquing (it’s harder than it sounds). Don’t forget to read as much as you can.

Some of the books in my “to read” pile.
But just know that publishers are going to be flooded with isolation and quarantine stories until someone finds a vaccine for the virus, so maybe stay away from writing those stories.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment