Translate

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Welcome to the Jersey Shore

Happy Father's Day!

When I think of my dad and his dad, I often think about the Jersey Shore. As a kid, I'd spend at least a week or two with my family at the shore, just as my dad spent his childhood at there.

It was awesome.

Ocean City New Jersey  - 2019
Though to be fair, I did spend a good three years terrified of the ocean because my grandfather had convinced me that seaweed was mermaid hair. My parents couldn't convince me for the world to get into the water and spent a lot of time at the playground with me instead.

Ocean City New Jersey (same location as above) - 2017
I want all of you to forget about what you've seen, heard, and witnessed regarding the MTV show "The Jersey Shore". First off, they're from New York, not New Jersey. Second, though I'm sure there are areas that resemble the show, I have rarely seen the actual Jersey shore look like it.

Probably because I more often than not go to the southern most tip of America's Armpit (I swear I'm not the one who came up with that, but I do think it's funny) to go to the beach. I'm hoping to change that. Driving all the way down the parkway is neither convenient or cheap, especially if I want to go with friends. There are nice beaches a lot closer to my current home that I'm hoping to go to.

However, the barrier islands along the Cape May county coast all hold a special place in my heart. Atlantic City, though, is to be avoided like the plague.

So here are a few fun facts about one of the oldest beach resort areas in the country.

1) Cape May is not only the southern most tip of New Jersey it is also the oldest beach resort community in the United States

2) The Jersey Shore was part of the inspiration for the 3 of the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels in Florida: The Boardwalk Resort, The Beach Club Resort, and The Yacht Club Resort. I've stayed at the Beach Club Resort and though I like the theme and recommend the resort, the Jersey Shore it ain't. They even have the Cape May Cafe, based off of the resort town.

3) Apparently Atlantic City has the longest boardwalk in the world. I still think Ocean City and Wildwood have better boardwalks (at least as far as my inner child is concerned), but kudos Atlantic City.

4) Speaking of Atlantic City, it is also the city the board game Monopoly takes place in. No wonder boardwalk costs so much.

5) Bruce Springsteen got his start in Asbury Park. Not only did he play in local establishments, but he also recorded his first album there.

6) Though not the true inspiration, the book Jaws references a series of shark attacks that occurred off the Jersey shore in 1916. A huge man eating shark did apparently prowl the Jersey Shore waters over a century ago, but shark attacks are fairly rare overall in the Garden State.

7) The last fatal shark attack in New Jersey was in 1926. Though there have been a few non-fatal shark attacks (the last being in 2013) and the Jersey shore is home to plenty of sharks (I've seen dogfish and small sand sharks), people and sharks rarely interact.

8) Wildwood beaches get longer and longer every year. They're not the longest beaches in the world or even in the United States, but walking out to the ocean in Wildwood is a hike unto itself.

9) The oldest still standing Light House in the United States is in Sandy Hook - which is also where New Jersey's only nude beach is located.

10) Ocean City New Jersey - not to be confused with Ocean City Maryland - is dry. If you want alcohol you gotta either island hope to Atlantic City or head to the mainland.

I hope I've given you guys some insight into the true beauty that is the Jersey Shore. I swear there's no where else on Earth like it.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off) please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment