Translate

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Welcome to My Voice

I occasionally wonder how or even if you, my reader, can hear the words you are reading in your mind. Some people don't hear a voice when they read. I think that's unfortunate.

My mind always creates a voice for what I'm reading. Characters in a novel have distinct voices, while the narrators typically sound like that voice over guy in commercials. More often than not, I hear Morgan Freeman dictate instructions from a manual I'm reading.



Do you hear a voice in your head when you read?

If you do, what does my blog post sound like in your mind? Is it your own voice? Is it mine? Or is the voice someone else entirely?

Do you hear me?

I often worry that something is lost when my hands type out these words. I'm not speaking them to you in a visual or audio format. You can't hear my sarcasm or the long pauses I might make if I were speaking instead of typing. I can only give you context clues and funny punctuation.

Do you ever imagine me speaking these words to you? Especially if you know me in real life. If I am the one narrating these words, what do I sound like? Are you hearing the me of now or a much younger version of my voice?

Honestly, I'm not too fond of the sound of my voice. I've heard its not uncommon for people to dislike hearing ourselves recorded. The way sound reaches our ears when we are speaking is different from when others speak. This YouTube video  can help explain this phenomena. So, please, don't try to force yourself to "hear me" as you read this. I'd rather have my words narrated by someone with a much more interesting voice - like Morgan Freeman or Emma Thompson.

Have you ever imagined hearing music when you read? I often write to music and I think it can influence what ends up on the screen. It influences my mood, which in turn, influences my author's tone.

What sort of music would you put this post to? Or would that be too distracting?

In my wildest fantasies, I imagine a voice, strong and confident, speaking my words exactly as I intend them to be spoken. There is music, epic music, playing in the background. It's starts low, but grows louder and louder to punctuate every point I want to make. A climactic scene in a movie, meant to inspire.

As soon as I click that "publish" button these words are no longer mine. They belong to everyone. Anyone can read this post and create their own meaning from it, regardless of my original intent. I set the tone, but you feel the mood.

My word choice indicates my feelings, my sarcasm or sadness or bubbly delight. But do you read them that way?

What do I sound like to you?

Am I the whiny, obnoxious stereotypical voice of the Y-generation? Or do I sound older? Younger? Am I logical and cold or emotional and volatile? Possibly both, depending on the post.

Or does my voice "die" and get replaced with an entirely different voice?

These words are only mine, if I keep them hidden. Once I share them, I've lost all control to their interpretation.

One day, I hope you can hear what my written words sound like to me. The emotion will be just right with epic music playing in the background, maybe something by Hans Zimmer or Two Steps from Hell. The voice is comforting and powerful, smooth and forceful. It's a voice people want to listen to.

Is that the voice you expected from these words?

I don't mind if it isn't.

Maybe someday I'll write something worthy of that imaginary voice. I'd like to think I can. To write something inspiring and powerful, something the great orators quote and practice would be amazing.

And even when my voice fades, I like to think that my words will remain.

If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share, and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment