Translate

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Welcome To The Gym

Yeah, I joined a gym. It's to help counteract all of the bagels and muffins I've been eating since moving to New Jersey. Not really, but it helps with that too.

I joined a gym to stay healthy and help keep myself strong enough to get out of a fight if I need to. Also to someday try out for American Ninja warrior. That show is awesome (the Japanese version even more so). My roommate talked me into joining the same gym that they go to. It doesn't have a pool, but there's an ocean about an hour away from here. I think I'll manage.



What did I do before I joined a gym? I worked out at home. It was convenient, didn't cost anything (except maybe a few bucks for DVDs), and I had my own space to do my work out.

So, why did I decide to join a gym even though I had a good thing going for me working out at home. Well, back in Maryland I had a ground floor apartment. It didn't matter how much noise I made or how often I banged on the floor. Now I live on the third floor with all wooden flooring, plus a baby lives down stairs. It wouldn't be polite to my neighbors (or roommate) for me to work out at home. I also thought it would be a great place to meet new people and learn some new workouts. So far, I've only accomplished learning the new workouts. Making friends is hard (if you don't believe me there's a blog post linked at the bottom for you to review).

Finding a gym wasn't the hardest decision for me. I went to a few different gyms, tried out there equipment, looked at there prices and made my decision (no, actually I did all my research online and ended up taking a great deal after checking the place out). I liked this gym because it wasn't expensive, I could walk to it, and my roommate belongs so I don't feel completely alone.

So far, I've been happy with the decision. I take two yoga classes and a spinning class every week. I also try to go one extra day to do weights. It can be a little difficult because my shoulder and hip still give me problems (old rugby injuries), but hopefully after a few months they won't be that much of a problem any more.

Now, would I recommend joining a gym after just starting out. Eh, it depends. If you have a very strict budget, my answer would be no. It's not something that is necessary. However, if you are in a new area and it wouldn't be easy to workout at home, I say go for it. You never know who you might meet at the gym.


If you enjoyed this post (or it really pissed you off), please like, share, or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Until next week.

Oh, right, here's that blog where I mention how hard it is to make friends after college. Enjoy...
http://startingoutinwonderland.blogspot.com/2014/03/welcome-to-learning-curve.html





No comments:

Post a Comment