Translate

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Welcome to the Heat

I saw "Jurassic World" today. It was a great monster flick, but holds no candle to the original. I liked the kids. They weren't annoying at all. I liked Chris Pratt and the girl he was with. It was just so easy for me to predict who was going to live and who was going to die. I also missed the sense of aww and wonderment when seeing the dinosaurs. There wasn't a "look it's a dinosaur" moment where I felt like I was five again.

I've ranted too long...

Since moving to New Jersey, I would say the third thing that I miss the most (behind my friends and family) is the lack of central AC in my apartment. Oh we do have AC, it's just not on all the time and it doesn't cover the whole apartment. If I'm cooking in the kichen, then it's like I'm being cooked with the food.

Anyway, next weekend it will officially be summer and boy do I wish it was over already. I can't stand the heat. Yesterday I was in Newark for a festival, it was so hot I slid off the chair I had been sitting in. I felt so gross. 

And of course if you want to go from outside to any restaurant/store/movie theater you freeze your butt off. I just went to the movies in shorts and a T-shirt and I really should have packed a sweater as well.

Several ways I have been beating the heat this June (and will probably carry on through July and August) are as follows:

1) A fan - my fan is awesome. It circulates the air and I get cooled down. I use it with the air conditioning sometimes to help the cold air move faster.

2) Making iced drinks - I make a pot of coffee at some point during the day. Either pour fresh coffee over ice or stick it in the fridge for a few hours to overnight. Yeah refrigerated coffee gets a bit stale. But at least you have cold coffee for breakfast.

3) Go out in the morning or at night - it's the coolest time of the day and plenty of people are out at those times to talk to.

4) Cold showers - not only do they help with getting cooled down if your overheating, they help get rid of excess sweat.

5) Go to a coffee shop/the library - hear me out. You buy a drink or just sit down and enjoy a good book. It's also where a lot of creative things happen. You never know who you might meet there as well.

If the heat has you down, you can also find the local pool, head to the beach/lake or participate in other water related activities. Just have someone with you that knows water safety.

Hopefully I don't get too pink this summer. Until next week.

If you enjoyed this post or it really pissed you off, please like, share and/or leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers and I hope you guys like hearing from me. Have a good week.


No comments:

Post a Comment